Deck Tape® completely protects and seals your new or existing deck frame, protecting from water rot, moisture rot and frame weathering.
SOLVING PROBLEMS – Deck Frame Weathering
Exposure to the elements outdoors can result in significant deck frame weathering. The most common area for this damage to occur is where the deck boards come in contact with the deck substructure. Protect your deck substructure with Walther Strong Deck Tape®.
BENEFITS OF USING DECK TAPE®
- Air- and smoke-tight
- Easy release
- Tape can be easily overlapped without added any significant height which could interfere with the deck board heights
- Easy to slide boards along taped joists when installing
- If screws are removed, no residue is left on the screw
- Tape doesn’t stick to itself on the adhesive side – no wastage
- Upgraded sustainable materials – Like composite decking, we are now using sustainable materials in Deck Tape. The flat fibre strand laminated webbing layers are manufactured from self-reinforced thermo polymers which gradually increase in strength over time and are 100% recycled !
WHAT IS DECK TAPE®?
Deck Tape® is a non-butyl self-sealing tape manufactured from a massively strong polymer acrylic adhesive, which gives a completely waterproof and weatherproof seal.
With a permanent adhesive bond for 50 years and a 25-year guarantee, this greatly adds to the life of your deck frame. Tested with all timber treatments.
Suitable to be used with both traditional timber decking and also the more advanced composite decking, Deck Tape® will protect any timber decking substructure. When using a composite deck board, more of the moisture will be absorbed into the substructure as it will drain off the deck boards. Higher amounts of moisture will mean that the frame will rot faster if not sealed properly.
WHY WALTHER STRONG DECK TAPE®?
Deck Tape® is a non-butyl tape.
Non-Butyl tapes are particularly suitable for this application as they are completely UV stable and keep their integrity for longer. This means that they have many advantages over both butyl and asphalt tapes.
In addition to this, it is stable from -40C to +93C with no cracking, peeling or strength loss.
WHERE IS DECK TAPE® APPLIED?
Simply applying a strip of Deck Tape® along the top of the joists as a ‘cap’ (rather than a wrap) protects the timber as it creates a strong seal from any moisture. 50mm Deck Tape® works particularly well on standardised 2 inch timber as it acts as a ‘cap’ (slightly overlapping the edge of the timber) rather than a wrap. This prevents any moisture sitting on these flat surfaces and slowly rotting away the timber.
Deck Tape® can be applied to joists in advance to the deck boards being fitted – It doesn’t deteriorate or affect the benefits and qualities that the tape brings to the deck.
Joist Hanger Protection
Traditionally the coating on the metal would have slowly corroded away the metal and brought weakness in. However, by simply applying a layer of Deck Tape® this prevents the breaking down of the treatments so the subframe of your deck maintains its integrity.
Use Deck Tape® on timber posts to create a waterproof and moisture-tight seal. Particularly useful for fence posts and any other timber that has contact with the ground.
Generally this is a particularly weak spot for the moisture to start rotting the timber since there will not be any treatment on this part as it has been cut to size. Using one layer of Deck Tape® will completely seal it off from all moisture and water-rotting or weathering.
Apply a layer of Deck Tape® between the galvanised fixings and treated timber to prevent the fixing from corroding.
USING DECKTAPE ALONGSIDE MILLBOARD® COMPOSITE DECKING BOARDS
When using Decktape with Millboard Decking, millboard.co.uk/decking we specifically recommend using 65MM Decktape and a special way to apply it, here is what we recommend and why:
If you are not using a composite or aluminium decking frame:
- Always select a quality grade of C24 treated UC3 or UC4 Timber joist when using millboard.co.uk/decking
- Once your frame has been completed select the 65MM wide Decktape https://waltherstrong.com/product/deck-tape/
- Apply the 65MM Decktape along the top of the joists, press the tape onto the top of the joists – BE CAREFUL not to push the sides down and let the tape droop or sag along the side of the joists. Also note: Use 2x lengths of 65MM when applying onto double joists or use 150MM wide Decktape.
- The is a key to select a wider option (65MM is recommend) is that the moisture build up is often sitting underneath the boards and when the deck is walked on the droplets run along the boards and catch onto the joists – with the tape resting away from the side of the joists the water will drip off the tape onto the ground – avoiding the contact with the timber as the moisture content on the top of the joists when using composite deck boards is up to 3x more than using timber deck boards.
You will see a guide here when using Millboard https://millboard.s3-assets.com/Subframes-in-depth-guide.pdf